Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What I've done

We started working on the Airstream after giving it an evaluation. The first thing we did was clean out the old junk and dirt. Our tools were paper towels, Krud Kutter, a vacuum cleaner ( my shop vac), and elbow grease. It's amazing how our alimunum beauty changed with the cleaning.

I also wanted to kinda seal her up. We live in the East Mountain area of Albuquerque, which is very rural. I'm on 5 acres and have a fantastic view of the Sandia Mountains. However, since it is rural, we have critters. My wife say birds flying into the Airstream through a broken window. Since the inside of the Airstream is a no critter zone, I had to do something about the windoes. What I did was go to out local big box home repair center and bought a couple of acrilic sheets. I then cut them to the correct size and installed them temporarily using a dab of silicone. I first tried to use the score and snap method but that didn't work. The sheet would follow the score some but then go off the score.

I then used a variable speed jig saw and a fine blade to cut the sheet. The jig saw I have has a thumb speed control that was very handy. I scored the sheet, then cut along the score. There is probably a better blade to use when cutting acrylic, but I used what was on hand.

Here are a couple of pictures of the open windows, before the acrylic treatment.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home