Saturday, July 05, 2008

The Tub

I started working on the bath area recently. Here's what the tub looked like when we purchased the silver beauty. Kinda yucky, huh! So, I pulled the tub out and proceeded to clean it up. There was all kinds of nasty stuff in the bottom. The previous owner also put in the no skid strips but they were in bad shape.






















Here's a picture after I pulled the tub out and cleaned it. I used all kinds of solvents, elbow grease and abrasives on the tub. Also, there was a crack in the far corner of the tub that was "fixed" using silicon. Since the tub is fiberglass, the patch was pretty simple. I reinforced the back side with a bondo that included short length fiber in the mix. You can see the crack, which was about 2 inches in the corner.





Here's the tub after painting with the one-part epoxy paint from Lowe's. It turned out ok, since this was the first time I ever used the product. I followed the instructions to the letter. There are a few places where the paint ran some, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I also included a close up of the corner where the crack was and it can't be seen. Not bad for a couple of days work. The hardest part was the prep work and getting it cleaned. Next step is to reinstall it and find the vinyl trim that goes between the tub and wall.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home